Monday, January 10, 2011

Day 10: January 10

This is my view today (A little Hailey, a little laundry and a lot of typing obits and eulogies):



And this was the stupid conversation I had with the local newspaper where my family lives. Anyone who's worked at a newspaper can appreciate how ridiculous this conversation is. I sit next to our obits gal every day at work, and not only do we have detailed information on our web site, but when you call, Jillian can tell you actual information, versus this crazy lady who seemed to be oblivious that obits even have a place in a paper

Woman on the phone: "Hello?"
Me: "Hi, have I reached the Hi-Desert star"
Woman on the phone: "Yes"
Me: "Oh, can I please speak with your obituaries desk?"
Woman on the phone: "How can I help you?"
Me: "May I please speak to the person who deals with your obits?"
Woman on the phone: "Yes, how can I help you?"
Me: "Oh, so your'e the person. OK. Well, I'm trying to place an obit and am wondering if you can tell me the deadline, how much it costs, etc."
Woman on the phone: "Well, what would you like to know?"
Me: "Like I said, I'd like to know what your deadline is, how much an obit would cost, you know, all those kinds of details."
Woman on the phone: "Oh, well you just send it in and it usually costs around $25."
Me: "That's cheap! I work at a newspaper, and ours are much more pricey" (trying to make a joke)
Woman on the phone: (she doesn't laugh) "So yeah, just send it in"

NO info on where to send it, how to pay for it, anything. I was dying. It was like PULLING TEETH:)

No comments:

Post a Comment